New City Drug Trafficking Attorney
Drug trafficking is one of the most serious drug offenses that you can be charged with in New York. Indeed, a charge of drug trafficking means that you are either in possession of, moving, or are distributing large quantities of illegal drugs. Drug trafficking is both a federal offense and a state offense in New York, New Jersey and Connecticut.
The exact quantity of drugs that you possess at the time of arrest will determine how serious your drug trafficking charges will be. Furthermore, the quantities associated with the severity of the crime depend on the type of drug that is being trafficked. For instance, possession of 500 grams of cocaine could warrant cocaine drug trafficking charges, while it takes only one gram of LSD to be considered trafficking under federal law. Contact our experienced New City drug trafficking attorney for more information.
Drug Trafficking As A Federal Offense
Drug trafficking is a federal offense that involves possession, transportation or distribution of very high volumes of drugs valued at more than $75,000. Whether you are trafficking marijuana or other controlled substances, such as cocaine, heroin, methamphetamine, fentanyl, PCP, or LSD, you will be facing serious consequences if you are convicted. For instance:
- A conviction for a first offense for trafficking any one of cocaine, fentanyl, heroin, LSD, methamphetamine, and PCP, will result in no less than five years of jail time, and a fine of $5 million.
- A second conviction for any of the above identified drugs will result in no less than 10 years of jail time, and fine of $8 million.
- Jail times and fines can be more depending on the quantity of drugs that you were caught trafficking. The larger the quantity of drugs, the longer the jail time and the higher the fine.
- Trafficking marijuana will result in no less than five years of jail time, and a fine of up to $10 million. But jail time and fines increase based on whether you are facing a subsequent charge, and the quantity of marijuana you are caught trafficking.
Drug Trafficking As A New York Offense
Drug trafficking is also a serious drug offense under state law. For example, under New York Penal Code Article 220, Section 220.77, you could be considered to be involved in drug trafficking if:
- You acted as a director of a drug ring or drug operation that sold drugs and made more than $75,000 in any given year from your drug trafficking efforts.
- You profited from selling narcotics at least once in a six month period and you made more than $75,000 from your dealings.
- You intended to profit from selling narcotics and the value of the narcotics you planned on selling is valued at more than $75,000.
Being arrested for drug trafficking in New York is a serious matter; indeed, you should not take your criminal drug charges lightly. Drug trafficking is one of the most serious drug offenses there in New York, New Jersey and Connecticut and you need to speak with an experienced criminal defense lawyer as soon as you are able to do so. Contact the office of Phillip Murphy for a consultation today. We can help protect your rights throughout your criminal case.